Sunday, June 12, 2022

Feijoa crunch muffins


Feijoas are a fruit loved by New Zealanders and very misunderstood by the rest of the world. They are described by some as a pineapple guava, which makes sense once you've had one. I have never decided if I'm actually a fan or not, I think they are an acquired taste. However our kiwi friends had their baby blessed today and I managed to get some cheap feijoas on clearance at a local fruit and veg shop (still no idea why, there was nothing wrong with them) so I baked with them! I love Just a Mum, who is a New Zealand baking pro. She always has the best recipes and is my go to when I need something. She of course had a recipe for Feijoa muffins, which I got to work with.


FEIJOA CRUNCH MUFFINS

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups White Sugar

1 Cup Vegetable Oil

2 Eggs

1 Tablespoon Vanilla

3 Cups Flour

1 Teaspoon Salt

1 Teaspoon Bi-carb Soda

1 Teaspoon Cinnamon

3 Cups Feijoa flesh (scooped out of overripe feijoas)

Topping:

1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

Instructions:

Preheat Oven to 175C

Prepare muffin trays with liners. Scoop the Feijoa flesh out of overripe Feijoas until you have approx 3 cups (lightly mash with a fork leaving some larger chunks.) Set aside.

In a mixer add the sugar and oil and cream the mixture until smooth and creamy, approx 3 minutes, add the eggs and vanilla and incorporate well for a further 2 minutes.

Add to this the Flour, Salt, Bi-carb Soda and Cinnamon and mix until just combined.

Add the lightly mashed Feijoa and stir well, this is a very thick mixture.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins to 3/4 full

Sprinkle with brown sugar over the tops of the muffins, approximately 1 teaspoon per muffin

Bake for 18-23 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes then transfer the muffins to a tray to cool. These are delicious warm from the oven!


They were good, that's for sure. I was a little worried that they didn't take feijoa-y enough, but my husband who ate them all the time as a child assured me they were great. Good news! The only thing I wasn't 100% keen on was the topping. It was good, but I feel like it could have been better! Next time I make them, I will use the crumble from the tops of the blueberry muffins I made on the regular. I feel like that would make them next level!

No comments:

Post a Comment